Tuesday, December 6, 2011

What do I need to do to prepare myself for softball tryouts?

I am trying out for my school's softball team soon. I have never played a sport really but my mom played softball so I thought I would try it out. I know some things like fielding,batting,shortstop,ground balls, just a few things from playing in the backyard. If anyone can give me a few pointers and some more things that I need to practice I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance! =)|||Hello :] I have played softball for many years so I hope I can help.





#1. Since you haven't played any sports before, I would make sure your in shape. This means running, throwing and mentally in shape for a game. Do you know all about the game? Do you know what a pop fly is? What a change-up is or the in-field-fly rule? You need to make sure you learn all these thing too. Not just how to throw. I can help you, but you just need to email me on yahoo.





#2. Whenever I try out for softball, I always try to stay positive. Make sure during a game and tryouts and practice you don't get down. If you get down then your game will be off and everything goes downhill from there. Make sure you just smile after a mistake and move on!





#3. Have you batted against a pitcher? If you haven't I would strongly suggest you go to batting cages or have your mother throw you some balls. Maybe you have hit off a tee or slow pitch, but pitchers these days have fast, accurate arms and it may be difficult.





#4. One thing to do during tryouts is to volunteer for catching for the coach and always be happy. My coach is very big on attitude so if your grumpy or mad she will not like you. Make sure you smile and try your hardest. If that means diving for a ball, well girl get down and dive! You get what you put into it.





#5. make sure you are doing this for yourself and not for your mom or anyone else. At one point in my softball years I HATED softball cause I was doing it for my dad. And he was pushing me... HARD. So when I told him how i felt, he stopped pushing and I was doing it for myself again and it was great.





So be positive, smile, and have fun :]








(if you have any questions at all about softball just go to my page on yahoo and email me. I would be very glad to help!!)|||I have been playing softball since I was 6, so I know a couple things about it. Whenever I am walking into a try-out, I am always telling myself that every day is a new day. Normally there was 3 days of try-outs at my school, so if I missed a ball on the first day, I had it to were it didn't bother or change how I played on the second day. The biggest thing that I have learned was to never go into something cocky. Coaches can see that, if they think that you have an attitude towards them or other players that are giving you some pointers on how to stand or something, they will see you as unteachable and you are going to get cut. Every single day, the coaches would tell us that they don't care if you are th greatest player on Earth, If you have a bad attitude they are going to cut you. Also, if you think that you are automatically on the team, coaches can see that, and will cut you.





Also, if you are having a really bad day, tell the coach. I am sure that they know what a bad day feels like. They will put that into account when they watch everyone. Also tell them if you are sick. They may think that you are fine, but really you have a headache or something.





A couple days in advance, I would stand in my room and pretend to swing a bat a couple times, or play catch with my father, just so I would get used to the movement and feel of it all over again from the winter. Make sure that you know the game well, and that if you were thrown in a game, you would know what to do. Where would the ball go in this situtaion? What happens if I catch a fly-ball here? What is a fly-ball? Those kind of things.





Normally at try-outs, the first day or so, you will run of some sort. They are actually harder on you then in practice. That's what I have found out. They are trying to weed out the players that are just there to be there or to say they tried-out for something. Don't be surprised if you run All.





All I can really tell you is good luck. If you miss something or mess up, don't let it bother you the next time up. If you don't know how to do something, ASK THE COACH. It will show that you want to learn and that you want to improve as a softball player. That helps you even more than if you just continue to do it wrong. Also, if you have learned to do something one way, and they show you another way, and you don't get it. Ask the coach, and explain that you didn't quite understand him and that you were showed a different way to do it, and that you want to learn it their way.





Good Luck!





(if you need help with anything, or need explaining. E-mail me. I am more than willing to help. :-) )

No comments:

Post a Comment