Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How can I reduce my fear of the ball in softball?

I'm moving up to the next softball league this year, and will be playing with 18-year olds. I recently got drafted as a pitcher, and am extremely nervous. The way some of those people hit the ball, if it hit me, I would be dead. I pitch fast-pitch so the speed is incredible.





I'm not "scared", per se, but I'm as frightened as anyone would be when a softball flies by their face at 100 MPH.|||well obviously they wouldnt have moved you up if they didnt think you were ready. what i would suggest is visualization. sit in your room/ back yard/ softball field and think about that player hitting the ball at you. ((i know you're probably thinking that im insane right? but just follow me here)) and image the ball going at your... head/leg/stomach [where ever you're "afraid" of getting hit] and imagine you CATCHING THAT BALL!!!! dont imagine it hitting you! DO NOT!!!!! but just visualize that ball landing in your glove.





its all a mental thing. no worries.|||To reduce the fear of the softball hitting you just think as if you have a force field around you, but I play baseball and im 16 so I know what you mean and the strategy I use to reduce the fear of the ball hitting me is think that the pitcher is so good and has great accuracy so the ball can't hit you. Good Luck!|||Without altering your pitching motion, maybe practice taking a step back after delivery. It will give you a shade more time to react if necessary. My father pitches in adult rec slo-pitch and those balls usually go upwards off the bat as opposed to line drives. Congratulations on moving up!|||man up|||dont worry about it too much just focus on the batter and if it does come to u be ready to catch it|||Allow the momentum of the pitch to throw your body forward, then lay on the ground with your hands on your head and pray there are no grounders.|||jump in the batting cage and step in front of a few :D|||WHEN I PLAYED BASEBALL, OUR COACH WOULD THROW TENNIS BALLS AT THE INFIELDERS CLOSE UP TO GET THEM USED TO BALLS BOUNCING OFF OF THEM. (ESPECIALLY 3RD BASE PROSPECTS) THEN MOVE UP TO THE REAL BALL, THE HE WOULD HIT BALLS AT US. AFTER THE FIRST FEW, IT'S NOT SO BAD AND THE FEAR GOES AWAY. IT'S LIKE DIVING OFF THE HIGH DIVE OR BUNGIE JUMPING, AFTER THE FIRST ONE, IT'S EASIER TO HANDLE.|||When I first started playing softball, I got hit in the nose, first practice..I was ready to quit then thought of what I would have missed out on. And just think, the pitchers in high leagues have EXTREMELY great accuracy, so there's no need to worry about getting hit.|||the only way to really get over that fear is practice.


you can also wear a mask. I wear one because i broke my nose and it really helped me get over my fear. some of them are really ugly. i'll get back to you with the brand that i have. you can get it sothat it matches your uniform and it doesn't cover your entire face [unless you want one that does]

No comments:

Post a Comment