Tuesday, December 6, 2011

How many pitches should an 11 year-old softball pitcher have?

I am 11 (12 on march 28) and i am a softball pitcher. I currently havve three pitches; fastball, change-up , and a drop ball.(which i am throwing good.) Should I ask my pitching coach when I will be learning a new pitch or what?|||If you want to ask about a new pitch from a curiosity stand point, why not? I think 3 pitches for your age is excellent. I've seen girls @ 11, 12 say they know 6 or 7 pitches, but all of them look like a fastball. My daughter is 12 and also knows 3, but the 3 she knows, she throws really well. She asks me sometimes when she'll learn another. I leave it up to her coach to decide when she's ready.|||I was a pitcher for 11 years. It's good to hear that you are taking your time with your pitches and developing them well. I would say for now, you are fine with those pitches. You are better of developing a few pitches that you throw very well they trying to establish a whole arsenal of mediocre pitches. Just make sure that you are able to throw those pitches with accuracy (inside, outside etc.) When you are able to throw these pitches with great accuracy, you are in great shape.





Probably in another year or two when the softball competition gets a bit tougher, I would recommend learning a curve ball. The curve ball ended up being my best pitch (but again, it was though much practice). [It's a great strike out pitch!]





Also, make sure you know when to throw your pitches so that they work to their greatest potential and keeps hitters on their toes.|||If you have 3 pitches and can control them, why would you need more?


Most pitchers don't have 2 good pitches.


Your fast ball makes the change up and drop look better.


A good pitcher controls the game, even if you have all of the pitches you can lose if you can't fool the batters.

No comments:

Post a Comment